Sunday, January 21, 2018

Ina Garten's Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes


This week we got around four to five inches of snow. That may not sound like much accumulation to some of you, but here in Kentucky that is enough snow to shut down school for a full five days! We love it when this happens because we have the perfect excuse to relax and be cozy, without interruption, for days. This gives us plenty of time to cozy up with our blankets and catch up on movies/shows, play board games, cook up tasty goodies, and go sledding. I love winter. I love how nature forces you to stay in and slow down.

Of course, reality has come knocking on the door because school is back in session tomorrow. This means our cozy time is over and it's time to get back to the grind. Today will be a flurry of activity. There will be plenty of hussling around as clothes need to be washed and laid out, backpacks and binders prepared, last minute assignments completed, and lunches prepped.

With all the hussle and bustle I wanted to make something quick, using ingredients I already had on hand. A quick look through Ina Garten's recipes revealed this recipe for her Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes. This is the perfect recipe since I have some leftover buttermilk from the muffins last week. Plus, I don't have to run to the store for anything...major score!

 
Ina's Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes are heavenly. The potato ricer (pictured above and below) is the best tool I have found to achieve the desired fluffy and light texture. Mashed potatoes have a way of warming your soul. The perfect comforting indulgence. This is much needed for my kiddos as they have not had a full week of school since the middle of December! This week is going to be hard on them as they get back in the swing of things. So, to cater to them, we had a very kid-friendly meal of chicken tenders, Ina's Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes, and green beans. It was a thumbs-up from everyone. I can definitely see myself making these mashed potatoes again!  

These Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes are also for my dear friend Deb, of Kahakai Kitchen, who is feeling under the weather. She loves mashed potatoes. Thinking of you, Deb, and hoping you feel better soon!


Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
Adapted from Food Network
by Ina Garten
Serves 5 to 6

salt
1-1/2 pounds boiling potatoes
1/4 cup milk
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup buttermilk
salt and pepper, to taste

In a large pot, bring 2 quarts of water and 1 tablespoon of salt to a boil. Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut them into 1-1/2" cubes. Add them to the boiling water and bring the water back to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes, until the potatoes fall apart easily when pierced with a fork.

Meanwhile, heat the milk and butter in a small saucepan, making sure it doesn't boil. Set aside until the potatoes are done. 

As soon as the potatoes are tender, drain them in a colander. Place a food mill fitted with a small dish/blade over a heatproof bowl. Pass the potatoes through the food mill, turning the handle back and forth. (Alternatively, you can use pass the potatoes through a potato ricer- which is the method I prefer and used for this recipe). As soon as the potatoes are mashed, stir in the hot milk mixture with a whisk or rubber spatula. Add enough buttermilk to make the potatoes creamy. Add salt and pepper, to taste. If needed, you can place the potatoes over a pan of simmering water for up to 30 minutes to keep them warm, adding a little extra hot milk to keep them creamy.



6 comments:

  1. Any snow sounds like a lot to me since I live in Los Angeles. This sounds like a cozy meal. I have some leftover buttermilk so I will have to try this one. I am making turkey meatloaf tomorrow and mashed potatoes will pair well. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing your ricer is tempting. I want to bring mine out and make this mashed potatoes. Kim, you alway bring good idea and yummy food to the table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always have buttermilk in the fridge and can never use it up in time! Definitely adding this recipe to my arsenal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But I made myself an appetite for mashed potato ... mmm ... swanson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mashed potatoes are always a winner in my house. This looks delicious, and I know both my son and daughter would be over all smiles if I make this!
    Oh dear, I hope that Deb is recovering well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.