Sunday, January 15, 2017

Winter Citrus Tart with Rosemary Whipped Cream

I'm keeping it short and simple with this post. Curtis Stone's Winter Citrus Tart with Rosemary Whipped Cream is one of my favorite new desserts! It's a triple threat.

Gorgeous

Delicious

Easy

It's even economical as well. Three ingredients if need be: puff pastry, oranges, and orange marmalade. If you want to be fussy whip some cream or buy some vanilla ice cream.

This is a heavenly dessert. The puff pastry is buttery and flaky and the oranges are sweet and juicy - not to mention they get all caramelized and yummy.

 I love this one so much I plan to keep the ingredients on hand so I can make this whenever the mood strikes. I'm in love!

Winter Citrus Tart with Rosemary Whipped Cream
Adapted from Good Food, Good Life
by Curtis Stone
Serves 6

2 oranges (navel, Cara Cara, or blood oranges), tangerines or tangelos
1 (9x9-inch sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed but still very cold
1/3 cup orange marmalade
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon powdered sugar, plus more for dusting
1/4 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary

Preheat the oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up.

Using a sharp knife, remove the peel and all the bitter white pith from the oranges. Slice each orange into about 8 thin slices.

 Lay the pastry on the prepared baking sheet. Spread the marmalade over the pastry, leaving a 1-inch border around the edges. Arrange the orange slices on top, tuning to coat them with the marmalade as you go.

Bake the tart for about 20 minutes, or until the pastry is a dark golden brown and cooked through. Halfway through baking, use a pastry brush to brush any juices from the oranges that have accumulated in the center over the pastry edges.

Meanwhile in a medium bowl, whip the cream with the powdered sugar (I used a touch more than what was called for in the recipe) and the rosemary until thickened. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

After you remove the tart from the oven, brush any more accumulated juices over the oranges and pastry edges. Lightly dust the top of the tart with powdered sugar. Cut the tart into squares and serve warm with the cream.


******************************************************

We are celebrating all things lemon and/or citrus related this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs and these are my top three lemony delights!

Hands down one of my favorite recipes on my blog, and consequently one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth, is Yotam Ottolenghi's Hummus Kawarma (Lamb) with Lemon Sauce. It is a must make if you're a hummus fan!
If you find yourself in need of some winter comfort food, but you want to try a new take on the traditional recipe, then try Tessa Kiros' Lemonato Beef with Patates Fournou Lemonates (Lemoned Beef with Roast Lemon Potatoes). Surprisingly, the lemon doesn't overtake either dish, but it does help to brighten the flavors.
Finally, when it comes to lemon, this Lemon Meringue Fool by the one and only Domestic Goddess, Nigella Lawson, is a winner! Four simple ingredients mixed together quickly and topped with a cookie. Much like Lemon Meringue Pie, without all the work. Total heaven!

6 comments:

  1. Oh that citrus tart is calling to me...that looks wonderful, I am a huge citrus fan, all year round! I can never find those Cara Cara oranges that you mentioned...I have had them given to me in various fruit baskets and boxes over the years during the holidays, but I can never find them here, and they are so good. Sometimes simple is best and you keeping it simple this week was definitely the best choice...gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous tart--the perfect thing to brighten up January. I like the pairing of the rosemary cream too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh, another delicious looking cake. Maybe this cake will work with pastry dough? Then I could make it immediately, when I am at home

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep those three-ingredient recipes coming, I can use them. I have to look up YO hummus lamb with lemon sauce recipe. Sounds so delectable. Thanks for your great selections.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And such a gorgeous tart it is too! Truly a triple threat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a gorgeous tart! I would love to have a big slice! And the cream with rosemary sounds really nice! All your citrus dishes and dessert looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.