Sunday, December 4, 2016

Eggs in Pepper Boats


I was wandering around a Barnes & Noble one night with a friend and happened to spy a copy of Jacques Pepin's latest cookbook, Heart & Soul In The Kitchen. I quickly snatched it up, grinning from ear to ear, because it was on sale for $12. I didn't even have to page through it before buying because Pepin is one of my favorites and I just knew it would be a wonderful book.

When I finally had time to go through the book I was in love. Not only is it full of recipes, but it also has lots of stories, great pictures, and is sprinkled with paintings done by Jacques himself. I quickly started making a list of recipes I wanted to try and these Eggs in Pepper Boats were at the top of the list. 

Tis the season for all things crazy and hectic so I love this easy, yet somewhat sophisticated touch, on breakfast. You really only need about three ingredients. Four, if you want to be fussy. Soften the peppers in the skillet with a touch of water and oil, then crack an egg in with a little cheese. In a short time you have an easy and healthy breakfast all wrapped up in one delicious little present.



Eggs in Pepper Boats
by Jacques Pepin
Serves 4

2 cubanelles, poblano, or banana peppers (about 4 ounces each)
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 tablespoons water
salt and pepper, to taste
6 tablespoons grated Cheddar cheese
4 extra large eggs
cilantro leaves, to garnish

Split the peppers lengthwise in half and remove the seeds and stems if you want. Arrange them cut side down in a large skillet and add the oil, water, and salt, and cook, covered, over medium heat, turning occasionally, for about 4 minutes, or until the peppers are softened somewhat but still firm.

Remove the skillet from the heat and, if necessary, turn the peppers over so they are hollow side up. Place the cheese in the peppers. Break an egg into each one and sprinkle the eggs with the remaining salt and pepper.

Return the skillet to the stove, cover, and cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, until the egg whites are set but the yolks are still runny. Transfer to plates, sprinkle with the cilantro, and serve immediately.


November Potluck @ I Heart Cooking Clubs

6 comments:

  1. Lucky you, making this bargain. What a nice recipe title, your version looks nice and now I am hungry

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's one of my favorites too, what a bargain to grab that book. I love the cookbooks with stories. It's so much more special to get an inside look at their lives or thoughts.

    I hope you and yours are enjoying the holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! Something I would enjoy eating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are definitely a lot of soul in Pepin's recipes. What a precious find! You executed the dish perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delicious egg dish! I don't mind having this anytime of the day! Lucky you, to find a bargain with JP's book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heck yes, I'll take two please!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.