Saturday, June 27, 2015

Celebrate Summer With A Frozen Watermelon Slush

I didn't want the 12 pound watermelon rolling around in the back so I held onto it as I drove. Watermelon in my left hand. Steering wheel in my right. Sometimes, when the mood strikes me, I do these things just to amuse myself. A driver just going about their day passes me on the road and chuckles, or they honk and give a thumbs up, or they scream WATERMELON at the top of their lungs as they whiz by. Either way, it always results in a good laugh. I'm always up for squeezing a few more laughs into my day.

When I arrived home safely, watermelon in hand, I decided to give this particular watermelon a special treatment.  I had watermelon margaritas on my mind, but the kids were begging for watermelon, so whatever I chose needed to be kid-friendly.  Thankfully, I found this recipe for Frozen Watermelon Slush in Jacques Pepin's book and it was perfect! A tasty and refreshing slush for the kiddos and the ideal base for an adult drink. Simply add some watermelon slush to a glass and top it with a little splash of tequila or vodka, a quick squeeze of lime, and you have the perfect summery drink! It's delightful!


Frozen Watermelon Slush
Adapted from Essential Pepin
by Jacques Pepin
Serves 8-10

1 medium watermelon (about 12 pounds)
3/4 cup fresh lime or lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar

Halve the watermelon lengthwise, halve again, and cut into 2-inch pieces. Remove and discard the rind, black seeds, and as many of the softer white seeds as possible. Cut the flesh into 1-inch chunks. Place in a food processor, in batches if necessary, and process until liquefied; some small chunks may remain. You should have about 10 cups. Add the lime or lemon juice and sugar and process until incorporated. Blend in batches if necessary.
Transfer the watermelon mixture to a stainless steel bowl, cover, and freeze until solid, 8 to 10 hours. 

About 2 to 3 hours before serving, move the bowl to the refrigerator to soften the mixture. In the hour before serving, use a fork to break the softened mixture into shavings. Serve in chilled glass goblets or bowls. Garnish with lime and/or watermelon wedges.

Theme: June Potluck!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Kim,
    I remember how you balance a full tablespoon of mustard in one hand while driving! You made me smile again at your balancing act with the watermelon!
    These looks incredibly good! The perfect refreshment for a hot humid days like we are experiencing right now too! I would even welcome this at midnight! Anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd honk too seeing you driving while holding a huge watermelon. I have been making watermelon smoothie lately. The slush is another great idea. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like an awesome sight to see while driving down the street! And what a perfect use of watermelon. Sounds so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a great way to enjoy watermelon. Next time I buy a watermelon, since ours all washed away, this is on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if a 12 lb watermelon would count as a passenger for the carpool lane? Maybe with a wig and sunglasses? ;-) I have been drinking watermelon and honeydew agua frescas all weekend but I neglected to make them boozy and slushy. I need to rectify that mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally love your style, Kim - I can just picture you driving around the neighbourhood with a watermelon in hand - it just made my day thinking about it.

    The thought of using this glorious watermelon slush to make margeritas really makes my day too!! If only I could get my hands on a watermelon right now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so good! I'll be buying a watermelon today!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.