Sunday, August 17, 2014

Oatmeal Cookie Sandwiches with Lemon Mascarpone Filling


What's better than one oatmeal cookie? TWO! Two is always better than one. 

Two chewy oatmeal cookies sandwiched between a creamy lemony filling.  Trust me.  You need these in your life. 

Remember those old fashioned oatmeal cookie sandwiches with the fluffy vanilla filling?  The ones from your childhood? These are like that, but with a unique twist.  A more adult version. The lemon filling provides a refreshing change from the original.  They are addictive and crave-worthy all on their own, especially for those of us who enjoy lemony desserts.

It's a good thing the recipe only makes a handful or two because these babies were gone, gone gone.
 

Oat Cookies with Lemon Mascarpone Filling
Adapted from The Guardian
by Nigel Slater
Makes 8-10 sandwich cookies

For the cookies:
120g butter
120g light brown sugar
one egg yolk
120g old fashioned oats
90g all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt

For the filling:
100g mascarpone cheese
100g lemon curd

Set the oven at 180C/gas mark 4. Dice the butter and put it into the bowl of a food mixer. Add the brown sugar and beat till light and creamy, then mix in the egg yolk. Mix together the oats, flour, baking powder and salt.

Divide the mixture into 8-12 cookies depending on how large you want them to be. Roll into balls then flatten and place on a baking sheet. They should be quite thick, so they remain chewy after baking.

Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, until they are lightly colored but not yet crisp. Remove the tray from the oven, leave to cool for a minute or two, then transfer to a cooling rack. As they cool they will crisp up.

Make the filling. Put the mascarpone in a mixing bowl, stir in the lemon curd, then use to sandwich the cookies together.

Theme: Zest It Up!

9 comments:

  1. I would enjoy this version of oatmeal cookie. There would be no way to stop at one either. Delicious!

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love oatmeal cookies and creamy/tangy lemon fillings but I would not have thought to put them together--but seeing it, it makes perfect sense. These look fabulous! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kim,
    These looks so yummy! The combination of mascarpone and lemon curd sounds so good! I really wish I have a few of your delightful sandwich cookies to munch right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not familiar with the oatmeal sandwich cookies you mention but these ones look fantastic and that lemony mascarpone cream sounds like it could be used with a number of different desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big lemon fan, I have always been since I was a kid. This is a combo I never thought about - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You don't have to tell me twice to make a lemon curd cream cookie filling! Definitely a fun twist to the oatmeal cookie sandwich originals. I loved those when I was a kid, but I think they might be too sweet for me now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, oh, oh, I want some right now! Just the right companion to hot chocolate for the temperatures in Northern Germany right now ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a special little cookie you created, love this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're so right, Kim, two is always better than one. Actually it reminds me of a big billboard I saw in India once. It was an ad for Kingfisher beer, and it had a picture of a giant octopus holding a beer in each of its tentacles - the caption was "More than one is much more fun". Hardly a good ad for moderation when it comes to alcohol, but I think it could definitely apply to these cookies :-)
    Speaking of lack of moderation, I'm pretty sure I could just eat a whole bowl of that filling!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.