Sunday, April 6, 2014

Nigel Slater's Smoothie in a Bowl

We've started cooking with someone new over at I Heart Cooking Clubs.  We will be cooking the recipes of British cook, Nigel Slater, for the next six months.  I'm still waiting to receive my copy of Tender in the mail, but I found this recipe for his Smoothie in a Bowl online and I couldn't resist it.

I'm all for sipping a smoothie on the go, but I'm definitely a fan of this Smoothie in a Bowl because I'm all about those toppings and garnishes. So many possibilities!  In fact, I'd say this would be a very good dish to keep in mind when entertaining.  Blend up the fruit.  Pour the mixture into a pitcher. Then set out lots of different toppings and garnishes: yogurt, berries, sliced bananas, granola, nuts/seeds, etc.  I think everyone would really enjoy customizing their own bowl!



Smoothie in a Bowl
by Nigel Slater
recipe via theguardian.com
Makes 2

1-1/2 cups blueberries
1 cup raspberries or strawberries
1 banana
To serve: extra banana, berries, toasted oats, nuts, yogurt

Blend berries with one banana until desired consistency.  Pour mixture into two bowls.  Garnish with slices of banana, berries, oats, nuts, and a dollop of yogurt.  Enjoy!


11 comments:

  1. I'm also a smoothie on the go kinda girl. I whip them up the night before to have ready for breakfast the next morning. But we all have to slow down now and then, right?

    Your idea of a smoothie bar for entertaining is fabulous...great for adults and kids too. I may steal that idea this summer!

    This smoothie in a bowl is beautiful and looks like it could be in a magazine, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful way to serve up a chilled smoothie (soup). I love the idea of using toppings. I have been making a chilled strawberry soup and adding toppings would be a great idea.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  3. So bright and colorful--I love a good smoothie in a bowl. Here we eat a lot of acai bowls (similar with the frozen acai fruit blended in) and I like mine topped with plenty of granola, fruit and a little honey drizzle. A great way to start off the day and to welcome Nigel. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plus it's a great way to actually sit and enjoy your smoothie instead of slurping it at light speed! Which I may or may not be guilty of on occasion...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, it so much nicer to sit and enjoy any meal. I'am waiting for the strawberry season here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A berrylicious way to start the day and to welcome Nigel Slater!
    Yum! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That would make a wonderful start to anyone's day - looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never thought of using a bowl for a smoothie but, great idea! Take it slow for breakfast or just relaxing with an afternoon treat. Once we get the unbearable hot weather in summer this will be a staple. Hope you are getting some Spring weather!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never thought of using a bowl for a smoothie but, great idea! Take it slow for breakfast or just relaxing with an afternoon treat. Once we get the unbearable hot weather in summer this will be a staple. Hope you are getting some Spring weather!
    (PS sorry if this is a duplicate comment. I had an email saying my comment bounced)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, yes, it's definitely all about the toppings!! I just love this idea, Kim, and it looks so beautiful. I often have a smoothie on the run mid-week - actually, I usually slurp it down while I'm sitting at my dressing table in the morning, doing make-up. But I love this idea for a kind of sit-down and take it slow kind of smoothie that I might enjoy on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.