Sunday, July 28, 2013

Potato and Red Pepper "Cheesecake"

Smartphones.  We have a love/hate kinda relationship.  I believe there is a time to use your phone and lots of other times when you shouldn't. When I say lots of other times I really mean a good majority of the time.  For example, you're out to dinner with friends, family, etc.  Your phone does not belong on the table.  You're in the waiting room at the doctor/dentist office having a conversation with your husband.  Newsflash: I don't really want to hear that conversation.  You're in the checkout line and you're holding everyone up because you're messing around your phone.  My reaction might not be so nice.  Of course, I might be the only one who feels this way but I really do expect people to practice consideration when using their phones.

On the flip side, my iphone really comes in handy when I'm at the grocery store.  I use my phone to look up recipes nearly every time I'm at the store.  It's been a real lifesaver.  Recently, I bought my first cooking related iphone app, Ottolenghi, and it has also really come in handy.  When I needed something for this week's IHCC theme, Eggscellent, I found this tasty Potato and Red Pepper "Cheesecake" right on the app. 

I've been wanting to try a savory cheesecake for a long time so I decided to give this a go.  It was really tasty, but it was almost verging on being a little too rich or decadent.  I think you definitely need to serve it with a little salad on the side.  Otherwise, we really liked it.



Potato and Red Pepper Cheesecake
Adapted from Ottolenghi iphone app
Serves 4 - 8

about 1/3 cup olive oil
4 large red peppers, halved and seeded
1 garlic clove, crushed
3 large round white or round red potatoes (about 1-1/3 pounds, peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices)
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
2/3 cup cream cheese
3 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup pitted and halved black olives
2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
salt and black pepper

Preheat the oven to 425F.  Line a 9-inch baking dish (round, square, any shape will do) with parchment paper and brush with olive oil.

Mix the peppers together with the garlic, 2 tablespoons oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a good grind of black pepper.  Spread out on a baking pan and roast for 25 minutes.  Remove and set aside to cool.  Reduce the oven temperature to 300F.

Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil.  Add the potatoes, cook for 5 minutes, then drain.

Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet and add the potatoes.  You may need to fry them in two batches, so the pan does not get overcrowded.  Fry for 4-5 minutes, turning once to give both sides a light crispy surface.  Remove and set aside.

Place the feta, cream cheese, eggs, cream, and some black pepper in a mixing bowl and beat with a whisk until smooth and thick.

Cut each of the roasted pepper halves into two or three strips, about 1-1/2 inches wide, and place them and the potatoes in the baking pan --they should lean against each other, almost standing on their sides.  Put the olives into the gaps between the pieces and sprinkle with half the oregano.

Pour enough of the cream mixture into the pan to leave some of the vegetables exposed.  Bake for 30 minutes, or until the custard sets.  Five minutes before the end of cooking time scatter the remaining oregano on top.  Remove the cake from the oven and set aside to cool to room temperature. 

Remove the cake from the pan and cut into four wedges.  Brush the top and side of each piece with the remaining olive oil and serve.
Theme: Eggscellent!


10 comments:

  1. Savory cheesecake is something I've been wanting to try too...ever since seeing a crab/red pepper cheesecake. This looks really good! Very rich, but good. Would not have thought to use olives but I can see how that salty pop would help cut through the richness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are totally in agreement on the smart phone thing! It drives me crazy when I'm out to dinner/lunch with friends or coworkers and everyone is on their phone!

    A too rich savory cheesecake definitely sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, love the idea of a savoury cheesecake, and one that's filled with potatoes, olives and red peppers sounds right up my alley. This is definitely one I would try.

    Totally with you on the subject of inappropriate use of mobile phones, by the way. One of my pet peeves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Savory cheesecake!!! Yes, please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had a savoury cheesecake but have wanted to try one for some time. The flavours of this one sound very nice but I imagine, as with a sweet version, a little goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks and sounds great. I too have the love hate relationship with my phone. But my pet peeve is when the cashier is texting when checking people out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim, baby, you are preaching to the choir on the smartphone issue. I nearly posted something like this a while back. People hold me up in traffic, people almost hit me in traffic because they are “driving” and texting. Totally agree about having to overhear a stranger’s conversation when I am in line, a restaurant, etc. It’s been the death of social skills too. That being said, I also agree with you regarding the use when you are grocery shopping. Often I look up one of my recipes posted on my site, one of yours, something from Bittman or Nigella.
    Ok, rant over!!
    Your potato and pepper cheesecake sounds interesting and it would make a great dinner, but as you said, with a side salad. Very decadently creamy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That does seem very rich, like it would put your butt to sleep if you ate it all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen on the smartphone rants. Whatever happened to common courtesy? In my home, nobody answers the cellphone during meals. Period. When hubs and I go out to dinner, I take a few secs to either "check in" on Yelp. That's it. The phone goes into my purse, and it's "we time". Never heard of that app, but I use a grocery app to help me remember what I came to shop for. Wow, this sounds rich and decadent! I'm making potatoes au gratin, tonight. Loaded with heavy cream and cheese....but once in a while, just go for it, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that Ottolenghi iPhone app (although I do use it responsibly!) ;-) I have only had savory cheesecake a couple of times but I loved it. You are right though--it is very rich and decadent. This one looks fabulous with all those great ingredients in there!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.