Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Copycat Williams-Sonoma Peppermint Bark

Williams-Sonoma's Peppermint Bark.  If you've tasted it, then you know it's magical.  If you haven't tasted it, then you really need to.  This bark screams the holidays and it is so darn delicious and addictive.  For years Williams-Sonoma has been selling their peppermint bark for upwards of $30-40 per pound and people have been willing to pay good money for it because it is so darn delicious.  No need to pay big bucks any longer.  You can totally make this stuff at home.

This copycat recipe is spot on.  The real deal.  Worth it's weight in gold.  I'm not kidding.  Peppermint and chocolate are all the rage this season and I think you should seriously make this.  Ditch the cookies.  Give your oven a break.  Make this for yourself.  Eat the whole batch.  Then again, it's the season of giving.  Make another batch.  Wrap it up.  Gift it.  It definitely looks pretty all wrapped up with a bow.  People will love it.

Just please promise to use good chocolate.

Copycat Williams Sonoma Peppermint Bark
Adapted from Food Network 
Makes about 2 pounds
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes

12 ounces good-quality semisweet chocolate, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces*
1 pound good-quality white chocolate, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces*
1-1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
3 candy canes or 12 round hard peppermint candies, crushed

*Note: To do this recipe right you really need to buy good chocolate.  Don't buy chocolate chips because they will not yield the same results.  Buy good quality chocolate in bar form.  I used 3 (4 oz.) bars of Ghirardelli semisweet chocolate and 4 (4 oz.) bars of Ghirardelli white chocolate. 

Line a 9x13 inch baking dish with aluminum foil, shiny-side up; smooth out any wrinkles.  Heat 1 inch of water in a saucepan over low heat until steaming.

Put all but 3/4 cup of the semisweet chocolate in a heatproof bowl.  Set the bowl over the saucepan of steaming water (do not let the bowl touch the water) and stir until one-third of the chocolate is melted.  Remove the bowl from the saucepan; keep the steaming water over low heat.  Gradually stir the reserved 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate into the bowl, a few pieces at a time, until all of the chocolate is melted.  Return the bowl to the saucepan, 5 to 10 seconds at a time, to help melt the chocolate, if needed.  Do not rush this step:  it should take about 10 minutes to melt the chocolate.

Wipe off any moisture from the bottom of the bowl.  Stir in 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract into the chocolate, then quickly pour into the prepared baking dish and spread in an even layer.  Firmly tap the dish against the counter to remove any air  bubbles.  Set aside at room temperature until almost set, about 10 minutes.  (Mine took a little longer to set.  I ended up putting it in the fridge for just a few minutes).

Meanwhile, put all but 1 cup of the white chocolate in a large heatproof bowl and repeat the melting process over the steaming water; dry the bottom of the bowl.  Stir in the remaining 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract; pour over the semisweet chocolate and spread in an even layer.  Sprinkle immediately with the crushed candy canes, gently pressing them into the white chocolate.   Set aside at room temperature until firm, about 1 hour.  Lift the bark out of the pan using the foil and break into pieces, or simply lift the bark out and cut into squares (this is what Williams-Sonoma does).  Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.


18 comments:

  1. Thank you SO MUCH!!!! What a great recipe to have and to make as I've seen the WS catalog and it did look yummy as all their things are. Thank you also for telling me what chocolate you used as I don't want to "mess it up" by using the wrong kind. Happy Christmas to you...you just made mine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peppermint bark is one of the things I can not go without on Christmas. I am so making this. All for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had WS bark, but something tells me I've really been missing out. You are so right about peppermint and chocolate being in this year--every where I look there they are. You are also right in your advice to skip the oven/cookies and make bark. So much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no doubt that Willams-Sonoma peppermint bark is really good. I know it is even better when you can make it yourself. You have a great gift idea and something delicious to snack on-

    Happy Holidays to you.

    Velva

    P.S. Thanks for your comment on my blog. I smiled. I am a food nut. Any opportunity to snag some bulk in season fruits or vegetables, I am there. My lemon tree? It just went nuts this year. You would think I had an army to feed at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've actually never had the real deal stuff because it's SO expensive! I'll take this copycat recipe over $30/pound any day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks great :-) can you believe I have never tried it need to change that

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds so easy! will have to try tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cool that you made your very own peppermint bark Kim. We worked at Williams Sonoma one Christmas and most days I was the greeter, passing out their peppermint bark. It was a bit hit and I'm sure yours will soon take its place in our kitchens. Thanks for showing us the ropes.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is looking super yummy!! i am planning on doing some holiday baking this weekend and am definitely adding this recipe to the list!! thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you kidding me? $20-30 per pound? That's ridiculous. And YUM, I'm making some, it looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I solemnly promise to use good chocolate. I have a box of peppermint candy canes...and I know which recipe I'm using! Thank YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks worthy of being sold at Williams Sonoma. You did a really nice job, Kim.
    Thanks for sharing your odd story at my place! You beat me, that is crazy stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kim, you've convinced me. While not a fan of white chocolate, this screams the holidays and, of course, there is some real chocolate in it. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am going to Williams Sonoma tomorrow. Guess I won't be buying the peppermint bark... gorgeous recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's going to be end of mine day, except before end I am reading this wonderful article to improve my knowledge.

    Here is my blog pikavippi
    Here is my homepage ;

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know that I am being a heretic, bit I don't really think that stuff is the bees knees. Alexis worked there a few years ago and I just didn't get the appeal of the bark. But I know it is a personal preference thing because everyone else would go nuts when she was giving out samples of it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made this today and it tasted yummy! The only problem was that when I went to break it apart into lovely pieces, the layers came apart. What did I do wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hate hate hate spending so much money at WS as well, so I finally tried out the recipe! --> http://chefuy.blogspot.com/2013/12/williams-sonoma-peppermint-bark.html

    I had problems with the white chocolate developing "oily spots" from blooming, but tasted great otherwise. Was a hit with the family

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.