Sunday, October 28, 2012

Mango and Cardamom Lassi

A lassi is a traditional Indian beverage made with yogurt, very much like a smoothie. There are many versions of lassis, both sweet and savory.  This version is a sweet lassi sweetened with mango and sugar and lightly spiced with a little bit of aromatic citrusy cardamom. 

This is a creamy, sweet, and refreshing drink.  It pairs very well with spicy food and also makes a great breakfast or post-workout drink.

 Mango and Cardamom Lassi
Adapted from Quick & Easy Indian Cooking
by Madhur Jaffrey
Serves 2-3

1-1/4 cups plain yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)
1 cup chopped, ripe mango
3 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom seeds, plus more for sprinkling on top
8 ice cubes

Combine all the ingredients in an electric blender and blend.  Some ice pieces may remain.  Pour into 2 or 3 glasses and serve.  Garnish with additional cardamom, if desired.



Theme: Everything's Better with Yogurt


7 comments:

  1. This sounds great! I love that flavor combo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks wonderful! Perfect for breakfast, a healthy delicious way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm wow...I really wish I had one of these to sip while waiting for the storm to hit right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfect post workout drink! I'm guessing the Indian culture invented the first smoothies. And I am so happy that they did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i LOVE that there is mango in this. it looks so good. are you guys dealing with the storm too? i have inlaws in kentucky too. stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, but this Lassi won't go get help if Timmy falls into a well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this sounds delicious! I love mango, and I love cardamom, but i haven't thought of trying this together in a smoothie like this. I'm definitely going to try this combination.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.