Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Creamy Mango Ice


I have a confession.  I buy packages of cubed mango in the freezer section of my grocery store.  When the craving strikes I take out a package and let it thaw just a bit.  When the mango is semi-frozen I start popping those cubes straight into my mouth.  Talk about tasty.  Those semi-frozen cubes are so creamy and sweet.  It's like a dreamy tropical treat that you don't have to feel guilty about.  

While paging through my copy of Mexican Everyday I saw this recipe for Creamy Mango Ice and I was smitten.  I had to make it...and soon.  I blended up a bag of frozen mangoes with some water, sugar, corn syrup, and lime juice.  I tasted it.  Then I tasted it again.  If you taste something several times is it still considered tasting?  Finally I had the willpower to pour it into a 9 x 13 dish and set it in the freezer.  I set the timer for 2 hours and tried to forget about it.  Unfortunately, I kept going back to the freezer and taking a bite.  After two and a half hours and lots of stirring there was a good amount missing. Then my son tasted it and I think he liked it as much as I did.  Let's just say there was barely enough left for the picture.  This mango ice is cold, icy, refreshing and incredibly delicious. Consider this a warning. 


Creamy Mango Ice
Adapted from Mexican Everyday
by Rick Bayless
Serves 6

1-1/2 cups pureed fresh mango pulp (peel and pit the mangoes, 
then puree in a food processor or blender)**
1 cup water
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup corn syrup
1/3 cup fresh lime juice

Note: I used a 12 oz. package of frozen cubed mangoes, but you really need about a 15 oz. package OR about 4-6 fresh mangoes, depending on their size and amount of puree they yield

Begin by pureeing a 12/15 oz. package of frozen mangoes and/or 5-6 fresh cubed mangoes.  You should have 1-1/2 cups pureed fresh mango pulp.  Add in 1 cup of water, 2/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup corn syrup and 1/3 cup fresh lime juice.  Blend in blender or food processor until well blended.  

Pour the mixture into the canister of your ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions.  The ice will have the best texture if you transfer it from the ice cream maker into a container and let it firm up for several hours in the freezer.  Alternatively, pour the mixture into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish, slide it into the freezer and "still-freeze" the mixture - stir it thoroughly after 45 minutes, then twice more at 15-minute intervals.  

The ice is best eaten within 24 hours.  Scoop it into small dishes and garnish with lime zest and/or slices.

Theme:  Sweet Tooth


30 comments:

  1. This looks amazing. What a great treat for a hot summer day.
    I just pinned it so I wouldn't forget about it.
    Yum yum

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of a recipe that I have been searching for called coconut nieves. We have a taco truck that makes it and they refuse to share the recipe for their secret with me :)

    It is a hybrid of ice cream and ice. It is creamy and delicious and on my top 5 favorite desserts list.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How have I missed this? I have that book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so wonderful...perfect for hot summer days

    Mal @ The Chic Geek

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds amazing! I love mangos and think I'll put this on the list of recipes to try as the weather gets warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are getting into the Bayless groove there, woman! Never thought about frozen mango. I am a fan of this fruit but my husband hates it. Now I know how to get my fix. Great post, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh this looks delicious! Can't wait to try it! I buy the frozen mango chunks at Sam's Club in huge bags but just use them for smoothies, never thought to just have one semi frozen, will be trying that now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aawww yeeeaahhh! Thanks for the warning - I'll make double ;P. Seriously Awesome. My cheeks are tingling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I buy pureed mango! I like to flavor my water and ice tea with it. This is definitely in my future. Such a refreshing treat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. first the shrimp, now the mango ice...LOVE!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so refreshingly delicious! I just posted a mango dessert too! Will be bookmarking this, my house is mango-crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can certainly relate to going back to take another bite Kim. I adore mangos and they just happen to be 10 for $10 at my market today.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  13. (a) that first part is not a CONFESSION, it's GENIUS! Genius, I say!
    (b) I've been eating a mango a day lately. tht is going to turn into a tray of mango ice a day because of you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I keep a few bags of frozen mango in the freezer for snacking too...and frozen pineapple. I'll face to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love mangoes. Can't wait to try this out :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I grew up with mango trees all around me...I swear if I could go back in time, I would be so appreciative those mangoes...Avocados too.

    Your mango ice looks delicious.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my - never considered freezing mango. This is a new habit I must embrace. I would love to be able to say "I have a few ziplocked bags of frozen mango in my freezer so I shall make this incredible ice cream!" Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How refreshing is this - really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh! I have frozen cubed mango - I have to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mangoes are my favorite fruit. I buy them frozen when they are not in season here--excellent for smoothies, ice cream and just eating. ;-) I have this one tagged to make--it looks so refreshing and good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an excellent desert! I am making it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yum! I bet this is just delicious, and refreshing. Perfect for a hot summer afternoon or evening! I'll have to try this... it looks so pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ummm you forgot to list tequila in the ingredient list;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love granita in any form. Even though I'm not wild about mango, I would definitely eat it this way! Love the pictures, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mango and lime go perfectly together. So, I have a bag of frozen mango and wasn't sure what I'd make. I'm a sorbet fan, and this looks close enough. Beautiful dessert recipe, that I'd be tempted to nibble on all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I absolutely love recipes for granitas and ices. So simple, so pure, and perfect for summer. Will definitely try this, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love mangos too, but have never thought of freezing them. I'm going to have to be on the lookout for those in my grocery store. Mmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yours is so much prettier than mine! You can really see the iciness of it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mangoes rarely last long enough in my house to use them in anything, but I am going to have to hide a few so I can make this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love to have those frozen mango chunks in the freezer too, but never thought to just pop them in my mouth for a little treat! Great idea, but I love this ice recipe so much better! What a perfect ending to a meal on a hot day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.