Monday, December 13, 2010

Apricot and Nut Cookies with Amaretto Icing

This cookie recipe is one that I wanted to make as soon as I first set eyes on it.  I knew I could count on it to be different and unique, not to mention, perfect for adults.  It can't all be about the kids, can it? 

When my friend Barbara over at Moveable Feasts pointed this cookie out and announced that it was the most asked for cookie in her house, well.....I took note.  How could I not?  Let me just tell you, Barbara was right.  This is one delicious cookie.
Wonderfully chewy from the apricots, nutty from both the pine nuts and sliced almonds, and don't forget about the very best part.....Amaretto icing.  Wow - that icing!  I ate it with a spoon.  You would do the same thing, right? 
This cookie is really special and is going to be a new favorite around here.  I'm going to make another batch later today.  Try it if you're in the mood for something different.  
I couldn't resist showing you all that chewy apricoty goodness that lies underneath that delectable  icing.  The apricots are perfectly delicious, but I'm also thinking dried cherries would be a good option.  
Apricot and Nut Cookies with Amaretto Icing
Adapted from Giada at Home
Makes 2 to 2-1/2 dozen cookies

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temp
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 large egg
1-1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup dried apricots, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
5-7 tablespoons Amaretto or other almond flavored liqueur

In a large bowl, beat the butter, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.  Beat in the egg.  Stir in the flour until just blended.  Mix in the apricots, almonds, and pine nuts.

Transfer the dough to a sheet of plastic wrap and shape into a log, about 12 inches long and 1-1/2 inches in diameter.  Wrap the dough in the plastic and refrigerate for 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 350F.  Line 2 heavy baking sheets with parchment paper.

Cut dough log crosswise into 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick slices.  Transfer the cookies to the prepared baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart.  Bake until cookies are golden around the edges, about 15 minutes.  Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before icing.

To ice the cookies, pour the confectioners' sugar in a medium mixing bowl.  Gradually whisk in the Amaretto until the mixture is just thin enough to drizzle.

Place the wire rack with the cookies on it over a baking sheet.  Using a spoon or fork, drizzle the cookies with the icing, allowing any excess icing to drip onto the baking sheet.  Allow the icing to set before serving at least 30 minutes.

Notes/Results:  Absolutely wonderful.  A great addition to any cookie plate and a special treat for the adults.  I think this is a terrific recipe to play around with and would love to try these cookies with dried cherries, possibly cranberries.  I'm sure there are quite a few variations that would be great.  I do want to mention that this recipe makes a lot of Amaretto icing.  I really poured the icing on my cookies and had about half of the icing leftover.  This works out great for me since I'm making another batch, but I would reduce the icing in half if only making one batch. 
What's on Your Cookie Plate @ IHCC

32 comments:

  1. I think adding cranberries would be nice...perfect for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love every single flavor in these!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The combination of apricots, almonds, pine nuts and amaretto must be pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are made of lots of my favorite things. I'm sure they'd be delicious with any number of dried fruits (I'm thinking of figs, for example, which are my very favorite). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'm getting cookie overload already....is it Christmas yet? ha ha

    Actually we haven't done any. We've been doing mini-cakes and loaves this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These do sound good, Kim! I like the cranberry suggestion...especially since I have cranberries right now...and need a cookie to send w/ my daughter to school on Friday...thinking I could probably sub almond emulsion for the amaretto for the school batch. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could it really just be a coincidence that I have a bottle of amaretto sitting on my countertop? Uh no. I absolutely think NOT. THese sound amazing! I might try it with some dried cranberries though just cause I have those on hand!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is like giving fruit cake a really awesome makeover! i'm drooling, especially with that icing! what a fun and unique cookie, i want to try your idea with the dried cherries.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim, amaretto and apricot make these the perfect holiday cookies.I love all the nuts you've added.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmmyummy! I love fruit in my cookies even though the rest of my family doesn't:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh these sound so delicious! I'm copying the recipe right now! I'm so glad you liked the Chocolate Gobs!!!! Thanks sooo much for letting me know you tried them and like them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a pretty darn good cookie. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kim, these cookies look wonderful! Your blog is fantastic, btw. Now, about those pancetta waffles..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dried cherries...dried figs with hazelnuts - you are inspring me. hese do look good and a change from the norm. Baking all week - will give it a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I won't lie. Of course I'd eat it with a spoon. Or drink it from a cup. Extra icing just means you can experiment with trying it on different things!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have everything to make these except the Amaretto. :o( They look delicious and I like the cranberry suggestion too (since I have loads of them!). Oooh, lots of icing - even better!

    ReplyDelete
  17. They sound fantastic! Maybe I'll steal that icing for the biscotti I am making today. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The combination of ingredients in this sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love dried apricots. These cookies look terrific! The amaretto icing sounds like the perfect way to top them off. I just bought some dates today. How do you think they would be in place of the apricots?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow--this definitely does sound unique! I love amaretto flavoring too, so I bet these would be a hit. I am always about switching up the standard cookies, and sneaking in a few new and fun ones. I may have to add this to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the amaretto aroma in cookies! Your recipe is perfect! Exquisite Italian flavor! Marvelous to serve on the dessert table! Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amaretto cookies sounds delicious. Nice flavor and icing. I have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So pleased you liked them, Kim.
    As a side note, I made a batch a couple weeks ago, forgot (really, I did) the frosting, packaged them up for my daughter who was in an art show in Miami, and everyone there wanted the cookies! In fact, she became much in damand. :) And offers of help were given as long as she paid in cookies. Interesting that they loved them without the frosting...healthier and not as sweet, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Glad to hear they tasted as good as they look. This sounds like it would be a wonderful holiday cookie.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is an amazing cookie recipe. I know that I would love it for sure! Happy Holidays! : )

    ReplyDelete
  26. They look fantastic.

    I'd say they would be wonderful with dried cranberries too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amaretto must put these in the category of heavenly.

    I'm so excited I was actually able to leave a comment today. I've missed not being able to do so. Maybe blogger is finally fixed.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  28. These cookies go in a category all by themselves. They sound delicious and must be tried. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  29. They do look incredibly delicious--love the drizzle of the icing on top. It would be fun to play around with different fruit and nuts. Maybe a tropical version. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I made these without the icing to please the man. They are great cookies. Yours look nicer with the icing and they taste better.

    Despite this, they are great cookies plain.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think I could like the icing off a rock! I'm giving these a try.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.